Makes 2 1/4 cups.
- 4 cups (1 12-oz package) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Zest of one orange
- Cinnamon, nutmeg (optional)
- Wash cranberries if they're fresh. In a saucepan, bring to a boil water and sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cranberries, return to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for about 10 minutes or until most cranberries burst.
- At this point you can add a few strips of orange zest. I like a lot of orange flavor, but you can add as much or as little as you want. Spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice can be added too (but I don't).
- Remove from heat. Cool completely at room temperature and then chill in refrigerator for a few hours. Cranberry sauce will thicken as it cools.